From the comfort of my sofa

I just like to read! There is no greater pleasure than a peaceful house and a good book. I will read most genres but not sure I have the imagination to really "get" some science fiction and fantasy.
The Widow - Fiona Barton

I was keen to read this book but a little cautious as I often feel let down by comparisons with other books that I have really enjoyed or, in some cases, really not enjoyed. It is a gripping and compelling story, well written and with an original story line.  I’m not convinced that it is a psychological thriller as it didn’t have that “on the edge of your seat” feeling that I associated with the genre but that does not detract from the novel at all.  The different perspective of the book, focusing on the wife/widow of the accused Glen gives it something different to help it stand out from the vast numbers of books about child kidnapping etc.

The characters were all unremarkable, largely unlikeable and unreliable. I have to say that this is not a police force I would like to rely on as they were singularly unimpressive.  Glen was vile and Jean was just odd. Even the journalist, Kate, although by far the strongest character was not wholly likeable or trustworthy. The constant red-herrings, skewed perspectives and dysfunctional relationships between the characters make this an engrossing read.

I’m sure that everyone will be talking about this book in 2016 and am equally certain that it will be one of the “marmite” books of the year.

Thank you to THE Book Club (TBC) for giving me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.