From the comfort of my sofa

I just like to read! There is no greater pleasure than a peaceful house and a good book. I will read most genres but not sure I have the imagination to really "get" some science fiction and fantasy.
The Bones of You - Debbie Howells

Firstly thank you to Netgalley and to Kensington Books for allowing me a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

I thought this book would be right up my street as it ticked all the boxes for the type of book I like. However, for me it just didn’t “do it”.  I have left it a couple of days extra to write my review in case it was one of those books that stays with you, but sadly I find that I am just forgetting it.

There were a number of things I found odd and without massive spoilers, which I do not want to do, it is difficult to go into much detail.  In short, I didn’t really like or have any sympathy for the main character and I couldn’t understand why she was involved in Rosie’s disappearance at all – having been at pains to point out at the beginning that she didn’t know Jenna other than slightly as a parent with children at the same school and she seems to have had just a recent and not very involved relationship with Rosie. The horse aspect seemed overdone (I am a horse person) but I couldn’t see why there was so much detail, especially the Colic episode, when the link to the story was quite small.  I also didn’t really see the point of the main character’s husband’s story being included and felt that this was padding.  There is quite a cast of characters but I just didn’t feel any empathy, sympathy, relationship or anything else with any of them, they all seemed quite 2-dimensional.  I have only just realised by flicking back through the pages (not easy on kindle) that Kate has two friends but I hadn’t picked that up at all!

The book seems to be conflicted and seems undecided whether it is about telling the story of the murdered girl or whether it is a story about Kate’s home life.

In all the book was too long, too drawn out and had too much going on at the same time as nothing much was happening.  The characters were not particularly well developed and seemed two dimensional and “typical”.

On a positive note, the writing is accomplished and the switch between Rosie and Kate’s narratives is well done, in fact I think I would have liked the book a whole lot more had it just been Rosie’s story .  I also think I am in a minority as most people that I have spoken to about this have absolutely loved it!