From the comfort of my sofa

I just like to read! There is no greater pleasure than a peaceful house and a good book. I will read most genres but not sure I have the imagination to really "get" some science fiction and fantasy.
Humber Boy B - Ruth Dugdall

I was absolutely gripped by this novel.  It is shocking, chilling and intelligent with a final chapter that was completely unexpected.

The story is based around a child murderer, Humber Boy B, and his return to society after prison. It is a situation with which we are all sadly familiar.   There are, on the face of it, some similarities with the James Bulger murder, which the author does reference but she obviously draws on her own experience as a probation officer and therefore the story feels both original and authentic.

The characters drive the story and all are flawed and realistic.  The story is written in the present day with flashbacks from each character telling their story of the day the murder took place.  There is also a hate filled Facebook campaign to find Humber Boy B that flows through the book which is incredibly chilling.

This is an incredibly sad story of how neglect and poor parenting can affect a child and whether their return to society is possible.    It made me question my beliefs on the issue of nature v nurture as well as making me think about how we as a society deal with this most awful of crimes.

Having said all that, it is also a really twisty psychological thriller with unexpected turns, gasp out loud shocks and an ending that just blows you away!

An outstanding book that I will be recommending far and wide.

Thank you to Netgalley for allowing me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.